Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Language barriers

One of my cooks is learning how to make our flavored popcorn . She is hispanic and speaks little English. I don't speak Spanish so we sometimes (and by sometimes I mean usually) have a slight communication mixup. She is wonderful at reading the tickets at the Diner, but the recipe book for the flavored popcorn is another story. This afternoon, she was making cinnamon flavored popcorn and I sampled some of the first batch. The color was nice but the flavor was not! I asked her to show me the steps she took and immediately realized what was wrong. She thought teaspoons were tablespoons. The next batch she made turned out a lot better. I have learned that when we talk and she smiles at me and nods, she is not getting the gist of what I am saying.. Last week I asked her if we needed green peppers and she said "Si" so I ordered a 25lb box. The next day she asked "Why peppers??" I said because you said we were out. She shook her head and walked away. I figured out she meant "Si, we have lots of peppers" She thinks I need to listen better,

6 comments:

Unknown said...

"I have learned that when we talk and she smiles at me and nods, she is not getting the gist of what I am saying.."

haha!

keep up the funny posts...

~gnarfard . com

Dream77 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grace Jefferson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy Logan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dream77 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grace Jefferson said...

z